A note from Jennifer:
Your support is helping us serve our region with free books and literacy building activities for the children and families who need them most. Thank you!
Now more than ever, children need access to books and all the wonder and promise that awaits them as they read. Here are a few of the ways we’re increasing access to books during school and library closures:
- Just as schools and libraries closed, we started our Bag-O-Books order program. Within two weeks, we received and filled nearly 100 orders a day. We’ll continue sharing clean books with kids and families once the Stay Home order is lifted.
- We’re still partnering with schools and essential service providers to share books with families in greatest need. Last week alone we distributed 1395 books! If your organization is currently serving children and families, please let us know if you'd like books to share.
- We launched our Read Around the House Challenge and it is VERY popular! This darling and clever Dr. Seuss-like program encourages children and families to read in and around their homes. Teachers, early learning educators, and parents are sharing it with families. Kids love it, and if they complete it they get a prize or prizes. I hope you check it out and share it with friends.
- And now we have a Virtual Story Time program, too! Please visit our Facebook Story-time playlist to enjoy a story and find out more about becoming a storyteller.
- Finally, we are using Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to keep us all informed and inspired about all things literacy. Please follow, like, and share!
Together we are bringing the joy and promise of books and reading to all South Sound children during these unprecedented times and, we are hopeful, for many years to come!
Stay Healthy & Keep Reading!
P.S. In case you missed it, take a few minutes to enjoy hearing from award-winning author and Readers are Leaders keynote, J. Ryan Stradal, talk about what a difference reading made in his life growing up. J. Ryan recorded this message just for us to share with you!
May 5-6 is Giving Tuesday NOW & Give BIG!
Inspired to participate in Give BIG this week? Help us share our story and match our board's $6500 pledge! Find us at https://www.givebigwa.org/southsoundreading
Virtual book drive extended through Stay Home, Stay Healthy order
With our office being closed to the public, we are currently unable to receive books on-site. However, we’ve been actively soliciting books on-line! Our virtual book drive has received enthusiastic engagement on Facebook and Instagram. If you’d like to participate, please Like and Share our posts!
Volunteers - stay connected!
In an effort to stay connected with our volunteers, we've shared email greetings and well-wishes, and happily received updates about their reading lists and gardening projects. In the interest of keeping connected, as well as facilitating connections between volunteers, we have also created a SSRF Volunteers Facebook Group for volunteers to talk to us and each other!
Sponsor Spotlight: Thank you, SCJ Alliance, for sharing your love of reading with us!
"We're proud to be part of a diverse community supporting literacy in our region. And while we missed getting to see everyone at the annual Readers are Leaders benefit breakfast, we're so inspired by the ways South Sound Reading Foundation continues the work!"
Get in touch!
South Sound Reading Foundation